Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sweet Summertime

So a lot of people went home for the holiday weekend. Even though my sister is not down here, she too, went home for a long weekend. Mary Catherine went on vacation with her family for the week and Kayla went home to her dad's house. This left me home alone with Kylie. Now I love her, but she keeps the apartment way too cold. She thinks 70 degrees is a compromise. It's not. I came home from church to put jeans and my Texas zip-up on because it's so cold. She also does not wash the dishes very much (but only when Kayla is gone; I don't get it), but that dose not really matter to y'all. But she is still sleeping right now, and she did not wake up yesterday till 1:30. So I'm lonely. I'm just writing. Don't feel like you have to read it all. I have a feeling it may get long.

Anyways, yesterday I was kind of in a blah of a mood and was thinking a lot. I'm going to share with y'all what I was thinking about.

I needed to go grocery shopping and buy ink for my printer. As I was driving, I passed a BP station. Now, I'm sure y'all know about the largest oil spill in America history and how terrible it is. I live with very opinionated people who think BP executives need to go to jail for life. But, I disagree. I have not been following it very much, but I don't think any of the executives would have ever planned for something like this to happen and I'm sure a lot of people were involved and one person should not be held solely responsible. The people I think should be punished as the picketers who march outside of locally owned BP stations protesting not to buy gas there. This really upsets me because the owner of that store has absolutely nothing to do with the oil spill and is already losing money without the help of the picketers.

As I continue driving, I make my first stop at Starbucks. I got myself a refreshing cup of Iced Green Tea! Then I go to "The Produce Place" (that is their real name). They sell locally grown and mostly organic produce. Some/most of the time it's even cheaper than the grocery store. I found myself some delicious strawberries. Note the picture. YUM!!!!!



I finish shopping and then went to Publix's and to get my ink. I am thinking more and more about Memorial Day, especially went I saw all the red, white and blue at Publix's.  I'm kind of sad to not be with family, but I guess I need to get used to that. For there will be many holidays in my future I will not be with family, I'm sure. Memorial Day--Sure, it's a "long weekend" for most people or a "big sale weekend" or even the "weekend for the pools to open" or the "beginning of summer" or "picnics with family," but really it's Memorial Day. The day we honor and remember those Americans who fight for our freedom. As I get older, I establish my own thoughts on life and certain issues. One of them that is very present in my life is violence and war, especially as a Christian. I just can't understand how people who are called to love can kill. I don't think I ever will. It's just different now because people my age are enlisting in the military, both from high school and college. I just don't like it. What ever happened to talking things out. Or does that only work for kids in preschool?  But I am still thankful and will support the people that keep our Nation safe.  I just wish there was another way, not war.

Kylie is still asleep. I hope this was not a depressing post. I really am loving the summer and being on campus.

3 comments:

  1. OH KATIE,
    STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SEASON IS IN NORTHEAST OHIO ALSO. I SAW THE FIRST ONES LAST WEEK BUT I DECIDED TO WAIT TILL PA GOT HOME. HE'S HOME SO I WILL BE SHOPPING WEDNESDAY FOR SUPPER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you understand me.
    Just think in two years you will never have to be alone for a holiday again! (tk smiling)
    I agree with your BP ideas... not jail... hit them where it hurts... BP execs get no bonus and pay for the clean up and to help people whose lives are affected by the spill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Katie you are always in my heart, EVERY DAY

    ReplyDelete