As I walked down the hall of Hermitage Church of Christ to the Deaf Church, last Sunday, I was nervous; over and over again, in my head, I was questioning all the signs I’ve learned throughout this semester thus far. I felt more confident having my friend, Caroline, by my side; she is deaf, and she is a expert when it comes to sign language.
I glimpsed though the window to see small groups of people signing back and forth. With a smile on my face, I walked into the chapel to be greeted by a little lady by the name of Martha. She started signing right away—she lost me. Luckily, Caroline took over and explained that we were students in a sign language class at Trevecca. I’m sure I could have done this, but Caroline is a much better signer so the Lady mainly talked with her. I signed her my name and told her it was nice to meet her. She then brought us around to many others and she explained who we were. It became clear that my and Amanda’s signing was still new and they asked us if we would like an interpreter for the service.
Amanda, Caroline and myself all took our seats with the interpreter behind us. Caroline brought to my attention that there really were no secrets in a deaf community. If we wanted to know what someone else was saying across the room all we had to do was look over there and watch what they say. Well, that may work for her, not so much for me. I would only understand a few words here and there. I found that very interesting. It would be easy to spot out the gossipers quickly.
The service started and the interpreter began telling us key points. The service was nice. I really enjoyed watching the pastor, Mike, sign the sermon. He was very animated and his signs were very clear. I tried to pick up as many words as possible; yet, I was extremely glad to have an interpreter. The music was not as exciting for me. On the stage a person would lead the congregation in a song. We would try to follow his repetitive signs; it was kind of boring. But, then again, for the people, like myself, who are not musically gifted now and again hymns are boring.
After the service we said our good-byes. Everyone was very welcoming and glad we came to the service. I truly enjoyed every part of it. I shared with my mom that I think this church is how all churches should be. Granted because it was small it was easier to get to know people, but still I loved how welcoming everyone was. Every person I met wanted to know my name. These people really showed God’s love to us visitors.
Looking back on last Sunday, I am very pleased with the experience. I feel like I know many signs. One thing that I would like to work on is my understanding when people sign to me. I find it easier to make up sentences than to comprehend what people tell me especially when it is not vocabulary from previous chapters in our book. I plan on attending another Deaf Church this next Sunday. I am interested to see how they are the same and different.
Oh Katie you are such a lovely girl with so many smarts and understanding and a great big heart. It is a pleasure to know you let alone have you as a Granddaughter. Love You!
ReplyDeleteI can't to hear how today's experience is. I agree, that does sound like how a church should be. I am sure El will be excited to learn some signs next month when you come down:) Miss and Love You!
ReplyDelete